Screencaps for City of Death are posted. Review is below the jump.
Monsters: yes, one Scaroth, last of the Jagaroth.
Emotional Wank: 0 out of 10
Intended Destination: random
Actual Destination: Paris, 1979.
- Duggan! Such a lovable brute.
- “You’re a beautiful woman, probably.”
- The dailogue! I love the bit in the basement hideaway with the two sets of concise answers, followed by Duggan’s throwing some light on the situation.
- Ok I am mightily impressed with how smoothly Captain Tancredi sat down with his rapier on. That was really good.
- Being tortured by a man with cold hands.
- “When you work for the Borgias, you’ll believe anything.” Ha!
- Eleanor Bron and John Cleese’s cameo.
Amazing how much gun brandishing you can get away with in Paris cafes. Not even a murmur of interest.
Comments, Questions, Speculation
- I never have quite figured out where Scaroth is supposed to be in the pre-life Earth scene. The spider-like ship doesn’t seem to have a whatchacallit-hedron shaped cockpit, and the interior scenes of his area seem to be quite close to the ground. I would think he’s in some kind of gunnery bubble at the bottom except we get to see the top of it in some of the angles. Is it a shuttle, maybe? I don’t fully get this scene visually.
- Hermann has such a huge crush on Scarlioni. Poor dear.
- What the heck is the Doctor sniffing in Leonardo’s studio? A petrified mink?
- How did I forget that Romana has a screwdriver? When did Romana get a screwdriver?
- Romana’s field interphase stabilizer looks it could be a surrealist sculpture of a Dalek.
- Maybe it’s an indication of the times that people keep referring to the incident as being prior to human existence or threatening the human race. It’s threatening all life on Earth. If this were made today, would we be a bit more global in our thinking, and less speciesist?
- It’s so easy for me to sympathize with Scaroth, right up until the killing and de-existing of life on the planet. I so want the Doctor to offer to skip round all the time periods and gather the bits of Scaroth up, to find some other way of making him whole. It doesn’t seem like that ever occurs to anyone. I wonder if it would have made a difference had the Doctor suspected he’d be the last of his own species one day.
Raw Caps: 471
Finished Caps: 149
The exterior stuff was shot in a different format, so it all looks more grainy. That along with all the motion blur made the running about town scenes extremely difficult to cap.